Hillsides undisturbed by rainstorm

leave a comment »

From the La Cañada Valley Sun:

The San Gabriel Mountains remained intact Monday despite a steady rainstorm that set city and county officials on edge.

The threat of rain, however, has not passed entirely. The National Weather Service is predicting a 20% chance of rain starting Wednesday night, 70% chance of rain on Thursday and a 30% chance of rain Friday. A third storm is expected to hit the area on Sunday.

The weather prompted the Los Angeles County Public Works Department to temporarily close Angeles Crest Highway, Angeles Forest Highway, Big Tujunga Canyon Road and Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road just one week after being reopened. The roads were reopened Tuesday afternoon.

The most recent storm dropped just over an inch of rain in La Cañada Flintridge, said Bill Patzert, a climatologist at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

“The reason [La Cañada] didn’t get clobbered with mudlfow was because [the rain] was pretty gentle,” Patzert said. “One inch over 12 hours was just perfect because it gave everything a good soaking but not enough to initiate the mud and debris flows.”

The rain caused little damaged. Debris basins, designed to catch and contain runoff, functioned perfectly, according to Edward Hitti, La Cañada’s director of public works. County crews worked through the weekend to prepare the basins in anticipation of the storm, he added.

“All the debris basins in the city were already completely emptied by Sunday…They are at the full capacity they’re designed for,” Hitti said.

County engineers and excavation crews are now expanding the capacity of four local debris basins, including Mullally, Big Briar, Snowbird and Pickens, Hitti said.

For more of this story read here.

Advertisements

Written by Megan O'Neil

December 8, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: